How to reduce the amount of waste we send to landfill and swap the items with something more sustainable.
As consumers we need to be more aware of what we purchase and what happens to the items when we are done with them. It is important that consumers consider the possibility of recycling the waste instead of sending it to landfill.
By swapping out a few key items you reduce the amount of waste being thrown out and you save money in the long run. Here are a few easy swap ideas to make your everyday life more sustainable.
1. The first thing you can do to reduce the consumption of plastics is to discard your plastic water bottle and replace it with a reusable bottle. Plastic bottles are usually only used once which means that plastic bottles are not only wasteful, but their cost also adds up.
2. Another great swap is to replace plastic bags with reusable tote bags when you go shopping. Don’t buy single-use plastic bags which cause of a lot of plastic waste. A reusable tote bag helps reduce waste and is very affordable. They are available online or in many shops that offer them in fun designs and colours.
3. Plastic toothbrushes are one of those items that are hard to recycle. Therefore, it would be a good idea to swap your plastic toothbrush with a more sustainable bamboo toothbrush. Bamboo toothbrushes are biodegradable and can be thrown in the compost heap, once the plastic bristles are removed.
One of TerraCycle’s former interns is the founder of Zero Waste Club that among other things create bamboo toothbrushes.
4. Plastic straws are pointless items that can easily be avoided. Straws go straight to landfills and sometimes end up in the ocean. This cause harm to both the environment and to wildlife. Therefore, you should try to avoid using straws altogether. But if you can’t we suggest you purchase a stainless steel straw that is both sustainable and reusable.
5. Lastly, we have a great swap idea for parents! If you have a child in diapers, you can swap the disposable diapers with reusable ones made of cloth. By doing so, you can save money, reduce your waste, and simplify your shopping and cleaning routines.